Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Dog Days are Over!

Yes, the Big Black Dog has done gone and run away. Listening to new music from Florence and the Machine. She has this joyful, fabulous song called the Dog Days are Over, and it brings a smile to my face because I think, I hope, I now believe, that they actually are over, for now at least.

I have 'invented', accidentally of course, a new form of pray that is oh so working for me right now. I was at Paul and Annes for dinner on the weekend and gave grace - I just said "Dear Lord, Thanks for the Chinese food, Amen". The Sumo cracked up, because she thought I said "This is Chinese food". Well, it's kind of caught on, as a joke (i.e. "Dear Lord, This is Butterscotch Pudding, Amen").

But do you know? It kind of works for me. The Sumo and I were talking last night about how it is kind of like a prayer full of grace and faith - it just says, this is my issue, I bring it to you. Like:

"Dear Lord, This is my scary meeting, Amen".
"Dear Lord, These are my shinsplints, Amen".

No grovelling or begging, just some honesty and trust - He knows my needs.

I'm loving it!

2 comments:

Iain said...

Yeah, wicked, I thought it was a pretty hilarious and good prayer too.

It's almost like a Fight Club prayer:

Dear Lord, I Am Jack's Cold Sweat.

Judith Mercado said...

I didn't know where to leave this comment that is unrelated to your post. I just wanted you to know that I mentioned you in my latest blog post. In it, I discuss the frequent mention in various blogs of Yeats' When You Are Old poem, in particular the phrase Pilgrim Soul.
www.judithmercadoauthor.blogspot.com